“What we think, we become.”

Friday, August 27, 2010

I can breathe again...


Tonight I sit and smile. The stress of the last two weeks is over. After undergoing more tests to find out if the lump in my right breast had changed they found another one. One they immediately showed much concern for.

We were all prepared for the worst. There wasn't really too much to it. It was either a cyst that was infected which can show up similar on scans or a dreaded tumour. The FNA was done & I was told it wasn't a cyst. Not the greatest of news. I had been praying they would tell me right then & there it was a cyst & I could go home, celebrate with my family & girlfriends & laugh the stress off. No, that wasn't the case.

I had to spend another 24 hours waiting to hear. I got the results just this evening. It's benign. Be-freaking-nign! I can breathe again. My family & friends who have gone through hell & back again these last couple of weeks can breathe a sigh of relief. Tonight there is joy. We can go to sleep knowing that tomorrow the sun will shine.

I have what they call, Benign Proliferative Breast Disease. A group of noncancerous conditions that may increase the risk of developing breast cancer. It's something that I will have to endure for the rest of my life. It's not nice but obviously someone up there is looking after me. I will need to go for regular check ups & scans & FNA's to rule out cancer. Some bodies are like this & will form Fibroadenomas which are benign tumours. I also have quite a few cysts in there as well which is very common.

I have to go for another ultrasound in the next week to check the left breast as a new lesion has been found. I am not concerned this time. I'm pretty certain I will have the same result I have gotten these last two years. Benign, benign, benign!

I cannot stress enough how important it is for you to check your breasts. If you are ever in doubt, go to the Doctor. They're certainly not going to think you're silly if you're not sure. It only takes 5 minutes and could save your life. You don't have to be a certain age for breast cancer to take hold. It can happen to anyone. Please do the checks. You always think it won't happen to you. Well it just might. It doesn't have to run in the family. Chances are higher if it does but you could be the start. Don't let that happen. Don't wait. Make a conscious effort once a week while in the shower waiting to rinse out your conditioner to do it. It's as simple as that.

To all my beautiful family & friends, I thank you for enduring these last two weeks along side me. You have been amazing. I couldn't have gotten through it without you.

1 comment: