“What we think, we become.”

Friday, August 6, 2010

Ekka Grinch!

Today is cold. Nothing about these August winds are nice. Chilled to the bone, lips so dry & sore, asthma, sinus... Ekka show is here & thousands of people will be lining up to get in. I could think of nothing worse.




My bestfriend has taken her three children today... hats off to her. Trying to barge your way through all those people, waiting in line for 30mins just to go on a ride you pay & arm & a leg for, children crying because they can't get that $35 show bag they want that aaaall their friends are getting, germs everywhere, I mean EVERYWHERE!, the stench of cow pads scattered all over the grounds. That is what I would call a living HELL.




While I'm working away tomorrow, my wonderful dear friend Justin will be taking Jay. He will have the wonderful opportunity to experience something that brings me very close to a meltdown. Jay has never been more excited. This is his first time at the big show. He's been to the local show held annually but never the big one.

Jay hates big crowd's & rides but he cannot wait to go. He actually hates big slides or anything that's higher than him. Well not quite but close enough. I on the other hand love them. Anything except the ferris wheel. This would have to be the worst ride ever invented. It is scarier than anything I have ever been on. It goes so slow & rocks to the point you think it will un-hinged & you will plummet slowly & painfully to your death. A little dramatic I know but this is seriously how I feel about those damn things. Give me the fastest, highest rollercoaster any day over the ferris wheel.




I used to laugh at my little sister Mel. She was scared of rides. Any time we went to a theme park, Mum or Dad were left taking her on the chair lift while my other sister Hayley & I rode on ride after ride. I now look back & wonder if she'd known that she could handle the chair lift, another freakishly scary "ride" then all the other ones would have been a walk in the park for her & she wouldn't have missed out. It's a shame, it was a lot of fun.

So my favourite ride to date... The claw- there's nothing like swinging 360 degrees, 9 storey's high at 75km an hour. There are plenty of others I really enjoy but this one is a new favourite!



So I'll gladly stick to my theme parks while the rest of Brisbane head on in to the Ekka and be thankful Jay is happy to go with his Uncle Justin.. hopefully I can convince him to grab me a Bertie Beetle showbag. Showbags are the only thing I do like about the ekka even with their crazy prices . Oh but I can't forget the gorgeous little farm animals & the way the kids faces light up when they see them.


So will you be going this year? What's your favourite thing about the ekka?

1 comment:

  1. Joel and I have avoided the Ekka since the year we got married - we got sooo sick, and it was only weeks before the wedding.

    We're debating whether Alexander's ready. I'm inclined to give it another year, given that at this point he has no idea what the Ekka is (the benefits of NOT watching commercial TV - he hasn't seen any ads for it).

    Tell J I hope he has fun.

    ReplyDelete