
If you go out in the woods today
You're sure of a big surprise.
If you go out in the woods today
You'd better go in disguise.
For every bear that ever there was
Will gather there for certain, because
Today's the day the teddy bears have their picnic.
I cannot get the song out of my head at the moment. It's been stuck in there for days. I don't know why or even when I may have heard the song last but it is there & it's not going anywhere soon.
It's reminded me of my first teddy bears picnic. I was 5. I was at preschool. I took my favourite teddy bear ever, Harmony. He was bright yellow & used to play little lullabies. I used to click his paw & skip all the tunes to get to my favourite, Brahm's lullaby. I would play it over & over again until I'd fall asleep.
I never knew the words, I would just hum along to the melody. It was the most soothing thing in the world besides my mother's hugs. When I was feeling sick or scared in the middle of the night I would press his little paw & I would feel happy and calm. I still hum this tune to Jay if he can't sleep. It seems to soothe him the way it did me.
I still have Harmony to this day. I couldn't bear(no pun intended) to give him away. He sits in the top of my wardrobe with a few other things that are very special to me. I never thought to give him to Jay when he was little. I obviously wasn't meant to. I might, one day, if I have a little girl, pass him on. Someone who will understand the sentimental value of him. I know Jay is a very gentle child but I don't think he'd appreciate a bear like Harmony quite like a little girl would.
Harmony really is a happy memory. I'm so very glad he gave me the kind of joy I see Jay getting from his favourite things. I too will tuck those things of his away as I know how much they can mean to a person. Little or no monetary value but worth a million smiles.
So do you have a lullaby or a toy that you have passed down or kept just because you could bear to let them go?
Oh that is beautiful, I have some special toys too, us girls are so sentimental. I would love to meet Harmony.
ReplyDelete