Remember when Dunlop Volley's were cool?? No?? Well that's because they were never cool and the 7 & 8 year olds of the new generation haven't got that memo yet.
I used to wear them. I hated them. There is nothing fashionable about them. Yes they are practical, have great non slip soles, are cheap & you can wash them easily when your kids track through the one and only mud puddle in the whole of Queensland but they're dorky.
I dreamed of having some cool name brand shoe when I was little instead of these shoes. My son has begged me for a very long time... begged is an understatement. Cried, tried to bargain with me, asked me almost daily for a pair of them.
I finally gave in a few weeks ago. We were out shopping and he saw them. This time I beat him to it. I didn't want him to ask again and have to see the sad look on his face. I walked straight over to the long aisle of them and told him to try a pair on. He thought I was kidding. I actually had to convince him I was serious. When he realised I was for real, it was like all his Christmas's had come at once.
In that moment I realised it didn't matter what I thought, to him these were so much better than the expensive name brand shoes he owns. These to him are the name brands I longed for.
He has hardly taken them off. He wore them to bed the first night until I made him remove them. Jay has never been one to cling to a certain toy or blanket like some children do but these shoes are lasting. I am already preparing ahead. They're not going to last the way he's wearing them. I am going to get another pair for the dreaded moment when he grows out of them or heaven forbid, they get a hole in them.
Yesterday we went and got crazy laces for them. Fluoro orange and yellow laces. One shoe has the orange and the other yellow. He couldn't just do one colour, they really had to be crazy. He woke up and went straight to his shoes, got them out and sat them beside him on the chair while he ate breakfast then put them on. Jay has a shower every morning before school(can't start the day without one) and today he was so excited to put the shoes on, he skipped it. That's how important these damn shoes are.
My little man has gone off to school with the happiest smile ever. It was definitely worth the little money I did spend on them. It's amazing how something so minor can bring so much joy to someone. My biggest hate is Jay's biggest love... go figure.
Here he is with his crazy laces this morning before school. Gotta love him!

I Love that even though you hate them, the warm fuzzy feeling you get from your child's joy is amazing.
ReplyDeleteHe's a dork! Those laces made me laugh. :-)
ReplyDeleteHe certainly was bouncy and happy this morning.
He did want hot pink laces.. We compromised! He also wants to colour the actual shoe in. Argh! he's enjoying them so much.
ReplyDeleteI think it would do my head in if he coloured them in. I'm not sure the OCD could cope!
ReplyDeleteI love how happy he was though.
Lol - my word verification was 'trickn'. So bogan!